Do you want to start a blog or you are new to blogging? You are stuck at finding a good hosting provider? You cannot afford expensive hosting if you are starting a new blog. All these questions came to your mind if you are a beginner in blogging. In this article, you are going to find that you can actually start blogging if you are low on budget. We will guide you to install WordPress on AWS, how to set up a WordPress website, we will discuss AWS WordPress cost, how you can backup your WordPress website on AWS Server, and how you can easily migrate your WordPress website from other hosting to AWS VPS. First, we are going to tell you about AWS – Amazon Web Services.
- 1 What is Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
- 2 Why Amazon Web Services (AWS) for wordpress?
- 3 How much does it cost to run WordPress on AWS?
- 4 AWS WordPress installation
- 5 Setup WordPress website on AWS VPS
- 6 How to migrate a WordPress website to AWS Server?
- 7 How to backup your WordPress website on AWS server?
- 8 Conclusion
What is Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
As the name suggests it is Amazon’s subsidiary that provides cloud computing services. It provides computing, storage, networking, database, analytics, application services, deployment, management, mobile, developer tools, and tools for the Internet of Things.
Why Amazon Web Services (AWS) for wordpress?
You must be thinking that it’s Amazon cloud computing services, and this is going to be very costly. Believe me, when I first get to know that I can actually run my WordPress website on Amazon’s cloud, I thought that AWS is very expensive.
The following are the reasons why you should rely on AWS wordpress hosting:
- Amazon Web Services provides VPS hosting starting at very low price $3.50 USD per month.
- The Amazon Web Servies offers Virtual Private Server (VPS) to host a WordPress website where you can manage more than one website from one console.
- Easily backup your website with AWS snapshot service and track server metrics and performance.
- Access your server via SSH directly from the AWS console, and you can upgrade resources as your site grows.
- You don’t have to do the extra configuration for your Virtual Private Server. Amazon provides managed VPS for WordPress.
How much does it cost to run WordPress on AWS?
- The Amazon Web Services provides managed Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting starting at USD 3.50 per month which gives 512 MB Memory, 1 Core Processor, 20 GB SSD Disk, and 1 TB Transfer. The AWS WordPress cost is cheaper as compares to other VPS hosting providers.
- You can check cost details on AWS Lightsail website https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing. Make sure to look for AWS “Virtual Servers” section for the price details.
- There may be two different OS types of VPS services available on AWS, one is Linux/Unix and the second is Windows. I suggest you look for Linux/Unix because Linux OS gives better performance than Windows.
- If you are a beginner, I suggest you can start with the base plan which costs USD 3.50 per month. If you have a decent amount of visitors on your website you can choose according to your site usage.
AWS WordPress installation
Installation of WordPress application is quite simple on Amazon Web Services VPS. If you are coming from the cloud or shared hosting, then the process of installation of WordPress is different but not difficult.
- First, you need an AWS account. You can Signup using this link https://portal.aws.amazon.com/billing/signup
- After Signing up, go to https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/ and sign in to the console as a root user.
- Now, click on Lightsail from “All Services” section.
- From AWS Lightsail instance menu, click on “Create Instance” button.
- Now, Select your instance preferred location.
- Pick instance image as Linux/Unix.
- Choose WordPress from blueprint (Apps + OS) menu.
- Now choose instance plan accordint to the website requirements
- Create unique name for your instance to identify later if you have more than one instances and click on “Create instance” button.
Now you have created your instance ready. It’s time to set up your WordPress website. Setting up of WordPress website on Amazon Virtual Private Server is quite different. Firstly, you need a WordPress admin Login Id and password to login into your WordPress dashboard.
Get WordPress username and password?
- By default the username is “user”
- You need to connect to your instance via SSH to get your WordPress login password.
- Go to your Lightsail instance and click on “SSH Connect” button to connect to your WordPress instance.
- Type the following command and press enter:
- You should see bitnami application password, copy and paste the password somewhere else. Don’t worry you can change the password later.
- Now login to your wordpress admin panel using username and password.
Change WordPress login password?
- From your wordpress dashboard menu click on “Users”
- Choose the user for which you want to change the password, and click on edit.
- Go to the “Account Management”. Now set new password for WordPress dashboard login.
How to migrate a WordPress website to AWS Server?
If you are moving from other hosting to AWS WordPress hosting, you can easily migrate your entire website including Articles, Comments, Tags and Categories, Authors, post meta, and custom fields. You can migrate your website with the following WordPress plugins.
With the duplicator plugin, you can easily migrate, move, copy, and clone your entire WordPress website. The Duplicator plugin automates the migration process, the duplicator wizard guides you through the migration process. It simply creates packages of the WordPress website including both the files and database and you need to import the package to the new location.
All-in-One WP Migration plugin allows you to create a backup of your WordPress website including the database, media files, plugins, and themes with no technicalities requires in the migration process. You can upload the same backup file to restore your WordPress website. This plugin is best suitable for small-scale websites because sometimes plugin can cause problems in the large-scale website restoration process.
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New
- Search for “WP Clone by WP Academy”
- Install and activate the backup and migration plugin
WP Clone is a great plugin for WordPress backup and clone process. It creates backup in you hosting storage and generates a link, and you need to paste this link to the destination WP Clone plugin and your wesbite will be copied to new location within few minutes.
If you want to migrate your website to WP Engine, WP Engine Automated Migration is the official plugin provided by WP Engine. You need to enter WP Engine SFTP credentials and all your website database and files will migrate automatically by WP Engine.
NOTE: This plugin will only migrate your site to WP Engine. This will not migrate you to any other host.
How to backup your WordPress website on AWS server?
If you are a WordPress website owner, you might have encountered a problem while installing or uninstalling plugins, sometimes your website becomes inaccessible due to damaged files in your WordPress files. You need backup in these type of situations where your website and WordPress dashboard is completely inaccessible. You can create a WordPress website backup on AWS with the following steps:
First you need to login to your AWS Lightsail account.
Click on your WordPress instance.
Go to Snapshots
You can now create your instance snapshot. Snapshot is a backup of your entire instance.
I hope you have understood the process of “how you can install WordPress on Amazon Web Services VPS” and configure WordPress on AWS. We have discussed the migration and backup process of the WordPress website. I hope you understand why we need Virtual private servers for our website and AWS is giving managed VPS at a very low price. If you have any queries related to VPS, AWS, WordPress installation, and migration process, you ask us in the comment section.